Losing weight or getting into better shape are among the most common New Year’s resolutions. These are terrific goals for both short-term and lifelong health and happiness. Not to mention, warding off serious health concerns can lead to lower healthcare spending over the course of your lifetime.
Of course, there is one small drawback to jumping into an exercise routine: Some people, enthusiastic as they are, will suffer back injuries due to their new workout regimen.
Since these injuries are not just painful, but can sideline you for weeks or even months, we advise prevention as your foremost defense. Keep these tips in mind as you begin your new workout routine:
- Warm up properly. Muscles receiving adequate blood flow will stretch more effectively and are less prone to injury.
- Wear the right gear. In particular, make sure you are wearing correct, well-fitting shoes for your sporting endeavor.
- Use proper form during all exercises, but especially during weightlifting!
- Take it slowly. Don’t push yourself to extremes on the very first day in the gym. Add extra weight slowly and don’t stretch beyond your limits of comfort.
- Use a spotter during weightlifting.
- Consult a personal trainer about proper form and exercise technique.
- Eat a balanced diet. A combination of protein and complex carbs give your muscles the fuel they need to function properly.
- Hydrate! As you increase your activity level, bump up your water intake, too.
- Cool down – stretch before and after exercise to prevent injury.
- Listen to your body. If a knee gets a bit creaky, you feel a twinge of pain in your back, or you’re simply extra tired, take a day or two off from your routine to rest and recover.
Sometimes, no matter how careful we are, accidents and injuries will happen. If you’re suffering back pain in particular, know that chiropractic care can help. As soon as you begin to experience symptoms, cease strenuous activities right away so that you don’t worsen what might be an injury. Give us a call to schedule an appointment, and we can discover the source of your problem and help you treat it effectively with chiropractic care.